Under the supervision of Bill McCann, host of our series on Kentucky theater production and performance, WEKU and Eastern Standard present a series of ten-minute "theatre of the mind" radio plays, written, directed and acted by Kentucky talent.
July 21, 2022 - Strained Pears by series host Bill McCann places the ever-present cellphone at center-stage as a constant source of tension between husband and wife Herbert and Mildred. Mildred and friend Mary Leigh, owner/waitress at their favorite diner, have come up with a strategy to persuade Herbert, who struggles with retirement, to see that he has allowed the device to become a serious distraction and a strain on their marriage. Bill Goodman as Herbert; Deborah Martin as Mildred; Alana Ghent as Mary Leigh. Sound design and production by Neil Kesterson and Tammy Ray. LISTEN
May 5, 2022 - Jockey Jim is the story of the rise and fall of Black American champion jockey Jimmy Winkfield. Excerpted from his full-length play and introduced by Louisville playwright Larry Muhammad, directed by Patrick Mitchell, starring Emmanuel Thurman. LISTEN
Have a concept? Our submission rules & requirements:
- Open for submissions from listeners and friends of WEKU Radio residing in Kentucky.
- Contestants must be 18 years of age or older. There is no submission fee.
- Submissions must be written in English and submitted via email to email@example.com. No mailed entries will be accepted.
- Plays must be written in a standard Radio Play Script Format. (Click here to view)
- Plays may be on any subject, either comedy or drama. Plays may not be musicals. Adult language is not permissible. Winning plays will be broadcast and children of all ages may be assumed to be listening.
- Plays must be no shorter than 7 minutes nor longer than 10 minutes. Time your script before submitting it. If it is shorter than 7 minutes or longer than 10 minutes, then your script will be disqualified. One page in Courier 12 pt. font double spaced is ONE MINUTE of airtime
- Plays may have any number of characters but must be able to be acted by no more than four actors. On the first page of the script list each character by NAME, age, and characteristics. On the same page, or the next show a breakdown of the characters to be portrayed by each ACTOR.
- Scripts will be judged blind. Submit two copies of the Cover Sheet—one should have ONLY the name of the play on it; the second cover sheet should have the name of the author and his/her/their contact information on it. The author’s name should not be on any page of the script except on the second cover sheet. (Upload in three documents: Cover Sheet #1, Cover Sheet #2, Script). Script pages should be numbered. IF an actor is to play multiple parts designate how those are to be split up. (See rule 7 for an example.)
- Each submission may be subject to two rounds of judging. First round will identify up to twelve (12) finalists. The second round will select the four winners. Plays must tell a compelling story which uses both the vocal qualities of actors AND sound effects to create a world and story in the minds of those who hear it. (Reminder: these plays will only be heard, not seen. So write a sound effects rich script.)
- Winning playwrights will be notified by email.
- Each play will be rehearsed, taped and edited separate from the others on a schedule determined in coordination with participants.
- Playwright/s may attend the rehearsals and taping/s of their show.
- Works must be the original work of the playwright. Copyright of the play belongs to the author. Copyright of the broadcast belongs to WEKU (88.9 FM) its heirs or assigns.
- Judges may disqualify improperly formatted scripts, scripts that are not topically appropriate (see rule #4), in instances where the play is not appropriate for children and adults of all ages, or which do not comply with contest rules.
- Selected playwrights will be notified.
- Judges decisions shall be final and unappealable.
- Submitting playwrights agree to abide by all rules and accept the decisions of the judges and sponsors as final.
- A PLAYWRIGHT'S TYPED NAME BELOW SHALL BE ACCEPTED AS LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT THAT THE PLAYWRIGHT UNDERSTANDS AND ACCEPTS THESE RULES AND WILL ABIDE BY THEM. DATE MUST BE TYPED IN FOR THE SIGNATURE TO BE VALID. Click HERE to download and sign. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Name of Playwright Date signed